Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Running: The Juggle

There are a few moms I follow, here in this vast world of blogdom, and admire greatly.  They seem to have it all together.  Seriously.  They are running half-marathons, full marathons, 197 mile relays, you name it.  Some of them have upwards of four children, too.  I don't see how they can do that and balance their home life.  But, I am not them and they are not me, so here is my life:

To be honest, I don't have it all together.  Some days I do and some days I don't.  That hurts.  There are days when I am barely hanging on to sanity because there is so much on my to-do list and it's already after lunch.  No bueno.

For a while I had a fabulous routine going and I was able to hit my goal of twenty miles per week.  Now, I'm down to six miles.  If I'm lucky.  Yeah, my routine took a major hit.   Just recently, I identified the culprits and I'm sad to say that it's Body Pump and the gym.  They take up too much time.  If I plan on going to the gym, I must have dinner started by 3pm.  No later.  Dinner is ready and left warming from 4:30pm until around 6 when D gets back from work and picking up the kids from the gym.  I get back around 7, we have family time then settle down for the evening.  
That was happening two days a week.  Two days, too much for me, anyway.  The rest of the week I was sewing Punk MOnkeys, cleaning, going to church, going to prayer, doing other various churchy things and otherwise.  Eventually, I had to admit to myself that it wasn't working and something had to give.  And it's going to be Body Pump.  It's not worth the stress for me.  My family doesn't deserve that at all.  So, I'm only going to do Body Pump once a week, if that.  I might even quit the gym.  I'll miss it, but my family is more important.

Nothing more discouraging than an unorganized schedule and a stressful day.  So, I'm taking back my weeks and my days and my miles.  I'm reorganizing myself and starting over again. 

 As much as I love running, I love my family more.  The End.

3 comments:

  1. You are only one person.
    You have an incredible family.
    You can only spread yourself so thin - then you pop like a rubber band.

    The old things they teach you in office training is to prioritize, make a list of the most important things and do them in the order of importance. And be sure to add SLEEP to your list. B-) Just my 2 cents worth. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you. I just need to keep myself focused. And I love my lists! (I felt like Larry the cucumber for a minute..hah)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I read this today. I am doing the same thing, re-evaluating what is most important, what I need to put off for now so I can focus on the things that matter most. Thanx for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. As corny as it sounds, I LOVE them! Even if you think your comment is of no consequence, please leave it. They make me smile from the tip of my toes...yes, they do.